We all need a go-to recipe for when a sweet craving strikes. These rice krispie treats are the perfect go-to, and they only require four ingredients. Plus, they have brown butter (because brown butter makes everything better) and are flavored ube! They only take ten minutes to make, so what are you waiting for?!
I am only realizing just now that I should have posted this before Halloween because of the beautiful purple color the ube gives it, and I could have made matcha rice krispie treats now in celebration of Christmas. Oh well! These ube rice krispie treats are delicious anyways, and that’s what really matters.
just one tip for success…
- Add milk powder! – To enhance the flavor, add a tablespoon of milk powder when you add in the ube extract. This is a trick Christina Tosi, the founder of Milk Bar, recommends. It’s like adding milk but just without the liquid!
Love ube? Then try my ube butter mochi! It’s a fan favorite for a good reason.
ube brown butter rice krispie treats
makes one 8 by 8 pan
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ube extract (I use this one)
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan, or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the butter. If you’ve never made brown butter before, here’s how: melt the butter over medium-high heat. Continuously stir the butter with a silicone spatula (this is key – just keep stirring so it doesn’t burn!). The butter will ‘sizzle’ and eventually foam. Keep stirring until you see several brown specks form in the butter (this takes a couple of minutes). When the sizzling dies down, the butter is done.
- Turn the heat down to low, and add the marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth, and then mix in the ube extract.
- Remove from the heat, and mix in the puffed rice cereal. Transfer to the prepared baking pan, and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Let cool, and cut into squares of your desired size.