Let’s talk cookies and cream.
Cookies and cream ice cream, cookies and cream cake, there’s cookies and cream everything! I’ve always loved anything cookies and cream, so naturally, I’ve made cookies and cream cookies before.
Cookies and cream cookies are, of course, delicious on their own. However, I needed something extra. Something I’ve been obsessed with recently… maybe something just slightly sweet… maybe something purple…
These purple cookies are perfectly yummy made with ube halaya and ube extract. They are packed with Oreo chunks, making practically two cookies in one! Plus, they don’t even require a stand mixer.
so… what is ube?
Ube comes from the Philippines and is a purple yam. It’s difficult to describe the taste of it, but it has a mild sweetness and has a nutty-vanilla flavor. Ube has an absolutely beautiful purple color that definitely makes baked goods stand out. These cookies use both ube halaya (purple yam jam) and ube extract which can both be found at your local Asian mart.
tips for success:
- on melting the butter – melting butter can be especially tricky in the microwave, where if you over-heat it, it may explode. Make sure to always cover the container of butter with a paper towel so if you do accidentally over-heat it, you don’t have a huge mess on your hands.
- for prettier cookies – right after they come out of the oven, top them with medium-sized Oreo chunks and very gently press the chunks into the tops of the cookies.
ube cookies and cream cookies
makes 20 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons ube halaya (can be found at your local Asian mart)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ube extract (I like to use this one)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 10 oreos, broken into small chunks (I smash them with a rolling pin in a plastic bag)
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together until well-combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until smooth. Add the ube halaya, ube extract, vanilla extract, and egg. Whisk until well-combined. Add the dry ingredients from step one, and fold until almost combined. Add the oreo chunks, and fold them in until evenly distributed. The dough should be sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough into 2-tablespoon sized balls. Arrange on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets, and enjoy!