It’s officially summer! I’m starting it off right with another ube recipe. The ube flavor comes from both ube extract and ube halaya (purple yam jam!), and there’s just a little bit of shredded coconut mixed in for just a hint of coconut. Plus, there’s a sweet surprise – a soft, gooey middle stuffed with creamy white chocolate.
These cookies are soft, thick, and perfectly sweet. For the dreamy white chocolate centers, I chopped up a Lindt bar of white chocolate (so good!) into small rectangles to stuff inside the cookies. They’re really simple to make and only need a short time in the fridge, just 30 minutes. Easy, quick, and delicious – what’s not to love?
tips for success
- Refrigerate the cookie dough! – Make sure you refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes and up to one day before baking. This gives the dough a chance to firm up so the cookies don’t spread so much in the oven.
- Bake until the centers are still soft! – The cookies should be soft and fragile after taking them out of the oven. They will be underbaked slightly and will finish baking on the hot pan. This ensures that they have a soft, gooey center – perfection!
white chocolate stuffed ube cookies
makes 11 cookies
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp ube halaya
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ube extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 oz white chocolate, chopped into 11 pieces
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt together until well-combined.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars at medium-high speed for about 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the egg, ube halaya, ube and vanilla extract, and mix on low speed until homogeneous. Add the dry ingredients from step one, and mix on low speed until just combined. Fold in the shredded coconut with a spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough out into 1 1/2 tablespoons portions onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten one portion, place an piece of white chocolate on top, and cover with another portion. Roll into a ball, and place on the prepared baking sheet at least 3 inches apart. Repeat with the rest of the cookie dough.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Enjoy warm while the chocolate is still gooey in the middle!