Something I’ve always wanted to try is mango sticky rice. It’s a popular Thai dessert that combines sticky rice, coconut milk, and sweet, juicy mango, and I mean, do I really need to explain? Mango and coconut are such a perfect combination and with sticky rice as well? I’m getting hungry right now…
On one perfect, sunny day in the future, I will eat mango sticky rice. Maybe I’ll get it from a Thai restaurant, or maybe I’ll make it myself. In the meantime, I’ll stick to using the excellent combination of mango and coconut in these shortbread cookies!
These shortbread cookies have it all. They’re crisp and buttery but with a light chew from the mango and coconut. They’re dipped in white chocolate for a bit of sweetness. Plus, they’re simple to make and can be made ahead of time!
You start off with making the dough, and then you shape it into a log and leave it in the refrigerator for at least two hours. At this point, you can leave the dough in the fridge for up to 1 day. Once you’re ready to bake, you simply slice the log and bake! Here’s the important part: make sure the cookies are fully cooled off before dipping them in the white chocolate. Read below in the tips for success section to know why!
tips for success:
- Let the cookies cool completely before dipping in the white chocolate! – The cookies will be fragile when fresh and warm out of the oven. Make sure they are fully cooled off before you dip them in the white chocolate so they don’t break apart when dipping!
- For a bit more coconut flavor – After you dip the cookies in the white chocolate, you can also sprinkle on a bit of extra shredded coconut. Use toasted coconut if you want to be extra fancy!
Love the combination of mango and white chocolate? You should check out my mango white chocolate scones – they’re tender, crumbly, and lightly sweet!
mango coconut shortbread with white chocolate
makes 16 cookies
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (45 grams) dried mango, sliced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (23 grams) unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 3 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the flour, and mix on low speed until just combined. Fold in the dried mango and shredded coconut.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of plastic wrap, and roll the dough into a log that is about 1.5 inches long in diameter. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the log into pieces about 1/4 inch thick, and arrange on the baking sheets about an inch apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let fully cool on the baking sheets while you prepare the white chocolate.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave for 15-second intervals. Dip 1/3 of each cookie in the white chocolate, and place back onto the baking sheet. Let rest on the baking sheets until the white chocolate has set. Enjoy!